Ingredients of Garlic Beef Enchiladas
Beef enchiladas are typically prepared with corn tortillas, but my husband, Jeff, and I prefer flour tortillas. I use them in this saucy casserole that has irresistible home-cooked flavor and a subtle kick. —Jennifer Standridge, Dallas, Georgia.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Optional toppings: halved grape tomatoes, minced fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeno peppers and medium red onion, chopped or sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling meat, until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in flour and seasonings. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings; heat through.
- Pour 1-1/2 cups sauce into an ungreased 13×9-in. baking dish. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture off center on each tortilla; top with 1-2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place over sauce, seam side down. Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake, covered, until heated through, 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes longer. Serve with toppings as desired.
Nutrition Fact of Beef Enchiladas
2 enchiladas: 751 calories, 43g fat (21g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 2536mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.